For many years, Disney has graciously offered their Armed Forces Salute tickets, which gives DEEP discounts for active and retired military members and their families. The first step in getting your Military Disney tickets is to determine if you are eligible.
Are You Eligible for the Armed Forces Salute Disney Tickets?
If you fall into one of these categories you’re good to go!
- Active Duty, Reserves, or National Guard in the Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, or Coast Guard.
- Retired from Active Duty, Reserves, or National Guard of the Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, or Coast Guard.
- 100% Service-Connected Disabled Veteran (you must have the correct code on your Military ID to indicate this…and they do check IDs!)
- Spouses in place of their service member. Only spouses. This means grandma cannot take her grandchildren to Disney and use the Armed Forces Salute without the service member or spouse present. Again, they DO check this.
- There are some other areas where you could be eligible (such as being a foreign military or coalition partner stationed in the US, or un-remarried widows with dependent entitlements). For full Armed Forces Salute details, check here.
Here are the facts to know before purchasing:
- You can purchase up to SIX Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets each calendar year. If your immediate family (meaning yourself, spouse, and kids) is larger than six, you can get additional tickets as an exception.
- There are BLACK OUT DATES. Please check to make sure your planned travel dates don’t coincide with black out dates! Usually there is a black out period during the Spring Break season, and the tickets normally expire around mid-December. If that is when you were planning to travel, you’ll have to get the regular Magic Your Way tickets, or adjust your travel dates.
- Disney has been great about offering the Armed Forces Salute Tickets, but they’re not a requirement and they could change their minds at any time.
- Your tickets, once purchased, are good through the end of the Armed Forces Salute period. So, if you have a 4 day ticket, but only used 2 days when you went in the Spring, you can visit again in the Fall and use your remaining 2 days. It just has to be used prior to the expiration date in December, which slightly changes each year.
How to purchase your tickets:
There are three options for purchasing your Armed Forces Salute Tickets.
1. At your nearest military installation at the Tickets & Tours office.
2. At Shades of Green, Disney’s on-property Military Resort.
3. Have the tickets mailed to you.
We personally think the BEST OPTION is to purchase them at your nearest military installation.
The reason this is your best option is because you’ll be able to immediately link your tickets in the My Disney Experience app and book your Fast Passes when you’re 60 or 30 days out from check-in.
FASTPASSES are passes that give you access to a shorter queue line.
With regular Magic Your Way Disney tickets, holders are eligible to book Fastpasses at 60 days prior to check-in. So, the trade off on saving over 50% on tickets (we told you it’s a deep discount!) is that you can’t book your rides as early… UNLESS you choose to stay at a Disney resort. If you’re at a Disney resort and have your tickets, you can book Fastpasses at the 60 day interval. Luckily, I’ve never had too much of an issue getting the rides I want, with the exception of those newer attractions like Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog Dash, and the new rides in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
The second best option? If you’re more than 30 days out, have them mail them to you. This is for the exact same reason above, you’ll be able to book your Fast Passes earlier.
Last best option? If you just wake up one day and decide to go to Disney, you CAN purchase them right at the Shades of Green resort. This is a good option for people who aren’t big on rides (you won’t believe how many people come to eat and play in other ways at Disney).
No matter what option you choose, on your very first park day, you’ll need to visit Guest Relations prior to entering the actual park to activate your tickets. It’s an extra step that there’s no way around, so make sure you build in time for that if you have dining reservations or FastPasses booked.
Every single park has a Guest Relations area AFTER you go through security, but BEFORE you enter the actual park. It’s a super easy process, you’ll just need your Military ID and your Magic Bands.
Which Tickets to Get?
Now that you know how and where to get your tickets, you need to decide WHICH tickets to get!
Your options are:
- 4- Day Armed Forces Salute
- 5- Day Armed Forces Salute
- 4- Day Armed Forces Salute with Park Hopper
- 5- Day Armed Forces Salute with Park Hopper
- 4- Day Armed Forces Salute with Park Hopper PLUS
- 5- Day Armed Forces Salute with Park Hopper PLUS
Yes, there are a lot of options! Here’s how to understand the tickets in simple terms:
- 4 or 5 Day Armed Forces Salute – You plan on visiting one park per day. Easy peasy.
- 4 or 5 Day Armed Forces Salute with Park Hopper – You could do one park per day, or you could change your mind and want to double back to Magic Kingdom one evening, or have dinner in another park, etc. Choose this option if you want options and flexibility.
- 4 or 5 Day Armed Forces Salute with Park Hopper PLUS – Choose this option if you want the flexibility to park hop and you also know Florida’s heat and so GIVE YOU WATER PARKS and throw in some mini golf, too! PLUS options give you a certain amount of entries to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Wide World of Sports Complex, 2 miniature golf courses and a 9 Hole course. Consider the PLUS entries their own separate ticket.
- You could build in extra days to your vacation that aren’t in the theme parks, but instead hangout at the water parks, play golf or visit WWS. Then again, you can use them the same day as park visits, too. Again— lots of options for you with the PLUS options!
Now that you know all about the different ticket options for military families, your next steps will be to figure out where to stay and if your food options. Don’t worry! Disney for Military has you covered!
And, if you’d like all this info in an easy to follow, downloadable guide, just fill out this quick form and you’ll have it sent straight to your inbox!